Do your labels measure up?
Noted wine journalist Robert Joseph recently tweeted: “Anyone who does not occasionally buy a wine based on its label is missing out. Labels are part of the fun of wine.” As we celebrate our first anniversary, ukvine has launched designs on wine, a competition for labels on English and Welsh wine.
The success of New World wines can be attributed to striking graphics as much as the quality of the product. ukvine wants to lay down a challenge to UK wine growers: do your labels match up to the best on the market?
The competition closes on 23:59 April 30, 2012, so don’t delay. The results will be announced on May 24 at LIWF.
- Competition is restricted to wine labels on bottles of wine grown and produced in England, Wales and Scotland for commercial sale within the UK and abroad.
- The term ‘label’ indicates label counts a front label and reverse label or front label only. Reverse labels cannot be entered on their own.
- Labels must be currently on sale or planned for use in 2012/13.
- Each wine counts as a single entry. Maximum of six wines can be entered by each vineyard.
- Prototypes, designs, sketches and speculative designs that are not intended for use will not be accepted.
- Labels do not have to be attached to bottles.
- Labels must be at artwork stage or printed.
- Competition is open to anyone involved in the design and production of wine labels.
- Labels can be entered by designers, printers, vineyards, wineries, growers or retailers.
- There is no age restriction on entrants.
- Entrants do not have to be in the United Kingdom.
- Competition entrants must be copyright owners or have the copyright owner’s authority to enter.
- No entry will be accepted without full payment of entry fee(s).
- Payment of fee entitles wine label to be judged in relevant category/ies.
- Competition launches at 00:01 on Thursday, March 1, 2012
- Competition closes at 23:59 on Monday, April 30, 2012.
- Late entries will not be accepted.
- Results will be announced on ukvine.com on Thursday, May 24, 2012.
- Entrants will be judged for Gold, Silver and Bronze awards. Wines can only win one award in each category.
- Wines can win multiple categories.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
• Best Sparkling Wine
• Best White wine
• Best Red wine
• Best use of typography
• Best use of images
• Best Redesign*
• Highest shelf appeal
The Competition is open to growers, vineyard owners and graphic designers. Labels must be current or in design for use in 2012/13.
* Redesign must have happened within last two years. Previous and redesigned label count as one label.
Labels can be supplied as:
Jpgs; pdf; designs/sketches – to be sent to sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Printed labels, empty and full wine bottles can be sent to ukvine, 259 Sydenham Road, Croydon, Surrey CR0 2ET
£10 per label in one or two categories. Further categories at £15 each.
• Competition launches on March 1
• Competition closes on April 30
• Winners announced May 24
Awards will be gold, silver and bronze rosettes. Winners can display winning rossette on current and future labels.
Payments by paypal and cheque only
Payment can be made through paypal to our parent company Media Link Services [nicepaypallite name="ukvine Design on Wine entry" amount="10.00"] All entries will be confirmed by email
Cheques made payable to Media Link Services can be sent to
259 Sydenham Road
Further information from email@example.com or 020 8689 4538